Facebook pre

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Joints and Ligaments

Ephesians 4:11-16 is one of a few verses which inspired this website. It speaks of how God equips us each differently to work together as a whole. Today, I’d like to focus on what ties it all together: ligaments.
Remember the old song, The head bone’s connected to the … ? Sure ya do. This is how children learn their body parts, parts so crucial in moving around and working, but no mention of the part that binds them. Poor ligaments. No respect!
But check out what the Bible says about joints and ligaments. Colossians 2:19 tells us joints and ligaments join us to the Head (Christ) allowing us to be nourished and knit together as a Body and growing us with the increase that is from God. Ephesians goes on to explain that this connection is what makes us effective in sharing the work. You ever hear the saying, “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts?” That’s because of ligaments.
Why am I blathering on and on about soft tissue? It’s because of the ligaments in my life. The people who, when I need help, if they aren’t the ones to give it to me, they’re the ones to point me to who can. They’re resource people, information disseminators, and team organizers. They often put together groups of people, then wonder whether or not they have a function in it. Well, yeah!!! That is their function, thank goodness. Imagine our bodies without joints or ligaments. A pile of bones and organs, wrapped in skin. A mound of flesh on the floor. Gross! That’s what the Body of Christ would look like without Its ligaments. But certainly not what our Father in heaven designed.
So I just wanted to give a shout out to the ligaments in my life. Thank you. And a special thanks to the lady who inspired me to write this particular blog on this particular day. Carrie Fancett Pagels. The ligament of our ACFW Midatlantic Writer’s group ;o).

5 comments:

  1. I always loved that song about the bones - them bones gonna walk around, hear the Word of the Lord! Well, bless you for the shout out and for helping me realize I am a ligament and not one of my arthritic joints!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring post!! We all have a part, I think I might be one of those ligament people and am also grateful for those ligament people in my life, including Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice thought, Connie! I'm thankful we each have a place in the body of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Connie,
    An interesting perspective I've never thought of before. Makes me wonder which ligament I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Connie, I love your site but I'm not going to write much because this will be my 4th try at commenting. I'm going to try something different! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete