Facebook pre

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Will You Soar on Wings Like Eagles Or Be Runnin’ Against the Wind?

If you can’t view the video imbed below, try this link of Bob Seger’s “Against the Wind.”

Bob Seger was right!

I once had this idea of success. It included money, a nice house, an influential career and lots of friends who adored me. I was taught that if I worked hard I could achieve anything. So I worked hard.

I look back now, and realize how directionless that hard work was. I sought careers that weren’t right for me and made friends with people who mockedcompass my faith. I succumbed to others’ ideas of right and wrong. No matter how far ahead I traveled, somehow I never felt the satisfaction of having gotten there. I started off wanting to honor God with my life, but I never actually asked Him what He wanted me to do with it. I ran ahead and expected God to keep up.

I once had a dream that could have been a video for this song. My job at the time required I visit a few locations throughout the day. In the dream, instead of taking my car to one of them, I walked. There was such a head wind I couldn’t move against it. I’d lift my leg only for it to come down at or behind the place it started. I lifted the other with the same result. I remember a feeling of uselessness at the effort. Not powerlessness, like the wind was too strong, but a real uselessness, like I was doing something wrong.

I wonder if the guy in the song felt that way. He sought joy in the things of this world: women, fame and career. But in the end he never seemed to get where he wanted to go. Maybe he needed to ask someone for directions. Maybe someone with a map.

Years after having that dream I finally submitted my life to God. Yes, I wanted to honor Him before, but now, I decided to follow His direction and not my own. He told me to turn around and walk the other way. So I did—swallowing some pride as I went.

sailboatAnd now I feel the wind in my sails taking me to a better place. His place. And though my slightly bent rudder may need regular correction and I must continually consult the map (the Bible), I thank God I’m no longer runnin’ against the wind.

Isaiah 40:30-31:

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Other posts you might like:

I’m Not Able on My Own

Is God Teaching Me Patience Or Praise?

Do You Ever Feel Your Offering to God Is Too Small?

1 comment:

  1. Connie, what a wonderful, inspiring post. Thanks much for sharing it. There's so much to respond to here. First, I can relate to this sense of achievement. For years I've thought perhaps it's just an American thing--this need to achieve, achieve, and achieve. But, to whose standards? The more I read, the more I see it's really a worldwide push. I was raised in a household that promoted accomplishment (although no praise was given for this), yet parental disassociation occurred when I didn't do so well. In my earlier writing endeavors I would often feel like a failure when "published status" didn't happen right away. Now, I don't. Now I've come to realize that it is all in God's timing. He wants me to achieve what He wants me to in His own time. I really appreciate the Isaiah scripture you chose to close your piece: well said, my friend.

    ReplyDelete